As we've entered a new year, of course I've jumped on the bandwagon with every other American and made New Year's resolutions. They are to be a more patient mother/wife, be more organized, run my first 5K (this being the hardest/scariest one), and lose a few lbs. I've started off pretty good if you ask me. Maybe not with the organization, but I promise to soon embark on that!
So I was really hopeful that we wouldn't have to go through the numerous ear infections plus antibiotics with Liam that we went through with Lawson when he was a baby, but maybe I was too optimistic because last week Liam experienced his first ear infection. Liam went to the doctor for his 6 month well-baby check up on Tuesday, and he was perfectly healthy (weighing in at 20 lbs and 28 1/2 inches long). Well I get a call from the daycare Wednesday afternoon that he has a fever of 103! So my first thought is that the fever is from all the no-good-mean-stupid shots he got the day before. So I begin the course of giving tylenol alternating with motrin every 3 hrs for the next day. He continues for the next 2 days to spike fevers of over 103 so then I begin to worry that maybe this is not from the said shots. I call the MD, and they say to bring him in asap because his fever should not be this high from shots alone for that length of time. So of course I feel guilty for not taking him in sooner, but I just didn't want to see them torture him, and then end up telling me to keep doing what I've been doing all along. Well needless to say, a finger prick and oral swabs later the doctor gives us a diagnosis of an ear infection that was probably caused by a cold that he picked up from sitting in the waiting room of the doctor's office on that previous Tuesday. It is great job security for the docs to make the well babies sit in the same room as the sick ones, but I really think we need a better system guys. And don't even get me started on the shots....that's a whole 'nother beef that I have with the department of health! So my sweet Liam Asher has been dealing with the pain of an ear infection this past week...let's just hope and pray that we don't have anymore! I've decided to go ahead and make an appointment with the ENT after we have 1 or 2 more because I know the benefits of tubes, and they are sooooo worth it! The blizzard of 2011 is upon us as I type so I'm sure the next post will involve snowing photos and such! I will leave you with a few pictures of my sweet boys....
No comments:
Post a Comment